Featured post

Question to council: William Marshal

Richard Stainthorp to ask the Lead Councillor for Culture Heritage and Recreation: William Marshal As I am sure the Lead Councillor is awar...

9 Mar 2011

UPDATED: Coming to a street near you - a cabinet and an old bed.

On my travels around Battle ward I have yet again discovered fly-tipped items.  This time it was an entire living room cabinet and broken sink or toilet in Little Johns Lane:

I have reported these items and asked that they be removed.

UPDATE 17 March 2011:  The site has now been visited and the items will be removed shortly.

With the collection of bulky waste items going up 40% in a months time I can only see dumped waste being even more of a problem.  Added to that increase, all OAPs, and those receiving benefits, will have their two free collections a year removed.  Will they have £32.90 available to pay for their waste to be collected?  There are also new charges for the collection of boilers (£98.11), bathroom suites (£122.65) and radiators (£33.10).

Some of these things can be put in a car and taken to the household waste recycling centre but what can you do with the large items apart from pay up?  If they are in good condition you could offer them to charity, some of which will collect large items, or free via a site like Freegle.  Nows the time to consider the mantra 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle'.

1 comment:

  1. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ReadingFreegleUK/ Stuff you don't need? Don't throw it away - give it away! You might not need that old sofa or wheelbarrow any more, but there might be someone just round the corner who does. Or if there's something you'd like, someone nearby might have one.